Thursday, July 23, 2009

So quite naturally...


Oh my goodness, this place has cobwebs! And look at all the dust...I think a family of raccoons has moved in.



Yep. I'm back. R.D has told me he has stopped visiting because I haven't written a durn thing since July 7th. Well, honestly- I don't have much to say or I have writer's block or the home front is so all encompassing right now or...pick or choose, all of the above and then some.



I wake up, listen to the birds, find myself so thankful for their song, fix my coffee, drink that first jolt down and then I commence to make sure that everything is in it's place and just exactly so and no dust and no moisture in the basement and where did that toad come from??!! And weed and wander and hug and love the dogs, clean up and off to work and worry and wonder there-




Did the kid remember to flush the toilet?




Make their bed?




Pick their underwear up off the floor?




For gosh sakes, did they rinse out their bowls?! Ants!!!!



So, as you can see if you'd bothered to read this far- just a bit of being stuck in the all encompassing vacuum of selling a farm. I feel like I'm being judged, not on the merits of the place but on the messes!!! Yikes!

AND on top of all of that, I'm running a morgue. Yep. It's true! Here it is, the middle of summer and of all things I have big fat field mice- inside! So I went to the farm store, let's see- the choices are snap their little necks or guillotine their little heads off with the stronger traps, poison them, or glue traps. What's a girl to do?! I put poison in the basement as I suspect that is where they get in at, I glue trapped near the stove and I even put one in my silverware drawer sans the silverware. Upon awakening I forgot I had taken out the tray and replaced it with a glue trap. Imagine my horror, poor little fat mousy looking at me...I screamed, got a grocery bag, said I'm sorry a million times, gathered the little bundle up...and now what to do?! The Big Fish said, "Deah, just get a bucket of water and put them in there, they'll drown quickly." I am a brave and courageous screamy woman, but I do not drown defenseless micies, no sireee- I conveyed to B.F. "Well deah, then wat auhr you going to do then thayer sweethaut?" (That's Mainer talk....)

So quite naturally, I opened a morgue. In the big freezer out on the back porch. Well I ask you, freezing, drowning, snapping of the neck or poison...c'mon! Just as soon as the little dears get caught, I gather them up in a bag, pray over them a bit, apologize profusely and squeal a little when I close the door. I take no pleasure what so ever in their extinction...but I do allow them to live free as birds outside the house. That is my rationale for killing micies. And don't one of you tell me freezing is bad...I cannot bear it, I assure you.


Back to the real estate game-
One offer thus far, too low...then a counter...thanks but no thanks- are you freaking kidding me?! (And then there's that too emotional side to me as well right now.) And, of course- it's July. July stinks.



Keep your fingers crossed for me and ask good old Saint Joseph to get busy finding the family to love this old labor of love.



Take care-

7 comments:

troutbirder said...

Well patience is a virtue and this blogging friend remains patient and hopeful for you that in spite of all difficulties you will be able to remain that way too. Selling a home and land can be a trying experience. I know. Been there done that. Keep calm. It will work out for the best in the end.

Anonymous said...

You're a good woman for opening the mouse morgue. I hate them, once while eating a baked potato I saw one and while I screamed, baked potato flew all over the living room. Darn mouse! Thinking of you yesterday....

Love, Rhi

Anonymous said...

I'm back reading again yea ! Remember home is where the heart is and you cant sell that so try (hard is it may be) to keep your business side at the table when negotiating the real estate.

R.D.

Anonymous said...

do you remember along time ago when you were driving to church one night and you had a mouse in your coat running up your arm?? I thought then you were a mighty woman. I would have surely died right on the spot had that ever happened to me.
My heart went out to you several times this month - can't help but miss our friend Beau. Kim W.

katales said...

Your mouse story gave me involuntary shivers but i am rather impressed with your creation of the morgue. I never thought about the realities of glue boards when I used one ONCE. I'll spare you the details but it was horrible. NEVER again. Gruesome!!! Sending lots of good wishes for that family who's out there looking for home to finally find it in your back yard. It was WONDERFUL to meet you a few weeks ago at the Blue Cat. You're just how I imagined you to be. The food was REALLY good too, BTW. That salad was MMMmmmmMMMMMMM!!!! :~) ~kathryn

truewonder said...

Patience is a virtue...I've heard that one before, it's a tough act to follow, though I am ever hopeful, thanks. Good to see ya RD, Rhi- the mouse morgue is doing heavy business...AND I do remember the mouse in my coat from off the back porch, I only acted brave so as not to freak you out little lady. HA!
Kathryn, was that wild meeting like that or what?! And thanks for all your sweetness, hope you and your friend swing by again some day, rumor has it that we have the best sweet corn chowder in the world!!!!(Making it on Fridays while the sweet corn is in season....)

Anonymous said...

Josh wanted me to tell you this trick in case something else gets stuck to the sticky trap and you want to free it. Just pour vegetable oil around whatever is stuck and it will work itself free. Of course, this then renders the sticky trap useless, but just in case one of the doggies steps on it. :)Sarah