Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Blind Man's Bliss


Good chilly morning,

I could start out this post ranting and raving about the fact that I have no hot water this morning...I really want to vent a bit about that, but I am abled bodied and capable of changing the heating element, though I have to get to work soon so I'll count on that after work activity and a cold shower this morning. The blind man-I sat next to him last evening while attending Blues Monday, listening to Susie and the Smokers, trying to stay in my seat while all I wanted to do was dance, dance, dance! The blind man, a local bass player I learned, was as sweet and kind as a person could be, a smile seemingly ever present. It is his perspective that I will try to convey here today-did he see the beautiful sunset last night? The one that cast only the colors that sunset's cast-otherworldly oranges and pinks that cause the soul to rejoice-no, I could not ask him that conversational question. Could he see the dancers, don't they seem to be leaving their bleak Monday behind as they twirl and hip jive to a Tommy Castro tune? No, again-I could not open up with much of a stimulating chat. Still, he smiled, tapping his cane to the rhythm, so it was he leading me to his experience of the music. I liked him. A good person to sit next too, a real complete being without sight. How would he react to home repair? Perhaps that is why he smiled, seemed so light-he has to trust his fellow man, knows he needs us to lend a helping hand. Oh to be so humble, unafraid to open up to life as it flows, and when a wave rocks the boat, the blind man smiles and seemingly knows to call out to another, engage a friendship in time of need. Lord, you gave me sight and strength, how about a plumber today? Increase my faith, and give me please- the bliss of a blind man. Take care-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh truest, your poetry, and your questions. i think reading you each day will bring me to a place i long for. i love the world as you live it, as you take it in, as you wonder. this is brilliant that you are here writing, creating, creating a circle that we can dip into....all of us, joined around the pond called life. dipping our toes in, making ripples, watching the circles bump and join and open into each other........bless you for your wondering today. and dang i hope a plumber comes to the rescue. i send hot water wishes.....

Piercing The Veil said...

sometimes we tend to forget how fortunate we are with all the blessings given to us that we tned to rant or over react to small things that is obviously bearable...
whereas there are some in this world whose contentment or blis are of the simpliest ones ...which are pure as gold...and these bliss we tend to under estimate
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
in the Little Prince
...yes you have found me...thanks for dropping by my blog, thanks for the nice comment you left...an answer for me to ponder