Wednesday, February 27, 2008

the seed order


I can finally look at myself in the mirror, look my self right square in the eye. I sent in my seed order. It's taken too long to square it away, I don't know why it took me so long...probably something to do with lawyers and insurance and work and Big Fish and too much going on...But, who doesn't have a messy life? Really? We all juggle, huh? Some, with their appointment calenders and spiffy clean homes make it look so simple, I really hate efficient people. Try on my life Miss Suzy Homemaker...they'd have to put a straight jacket on you. Yep. Off the point again, anyway! The seed order took me quite a long time to do. You see- the restaurant that I was merely "helping" out for the winter has become a project in a sense too. The cook quit about a month into my waitress gig there, so the kitchen witch in me, the owner and the owner's sister came out- and the cooking really began. (Please understand...Rene and Andrea do most of the cooking...and they're both artists, amazing women...good company!) But now, there is no waitress, or sous chef or regular cook- oh no. I, the whiz bang idiot that I think I am- I just try to do it all. Fun. Fun. But I like it. I like building the plate like a masterpiece, the intention of love like a garnishment. When those plates go out of there, they look like beautiful paintings, every patron usually immediately states, "Oh- how beautiful!" And very few of those plates come back with even a smidgen of food left on them. The point I'm trying to make, I my self am trying to see...I'm a pretty creative person, I thrive on it. I didn't know this about myself. The pressure sometimes of juggling, cooking, too much...maybe, just maybe (if we don't crack from the pressure!)propels us like cannon balls into a different atmosphere of yes, yes and more yes, and why not? So back to that seed order- in a round a bout way...that is why it took me so long to place it, too busy and I'm growing all the produce this restaurant can use. I've had to forecast how much lettuce and what kind of beets would glorify a salad in the most artistic way...crazy stuff. Is this why chefs(not that I'm a chef, far from it...)seem so irritable at times? Thankfully I have no one working "beneath" me...I'm the lowly waitress too, except on Saturdays- then Miss Lils is the cute little waif of a server...and she don't take no crap from her Mama in the kitchen. And let me explain "lowly waitress"...people often give this person in the restaurant field the most flack. The server is usually the one who pulls it all together, maintains the balance, keeps the cups full, entertains and smiles even when some old bitty sneers "Girl! My water is old, bring me a fresh glass..." Yea, sister- I got your water...catch! Of course I don't do that, only dreaming...I'm just saying, the flack the server gets is usually unwarranted, it is not her/his fault if the food is a flop- but they're the one's who get one quarter a dime and two pennies, which essentially is stating "Hmmpphh! Your worth is $.37...and a mountain of sugar packets." So- see why the seed order is so vastly important? The produce has to be just right...it has to fit, be beautiful and tasty and memorable and like a painting on a plate...oh, you see what I do? Too much. But my intention is love, truly. And a love has to be your all, your everything, has to stand up and say "here is my best intention, hope you enjoy!!!" Seeds to salads to smiles to sighs to...straight jackets! Ha, have a good one. Oh, and tip big ya cheapskates!!!! Take care-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this. love everything about it. the inside peek at farmer thinking. the whole saga of the fine cafe. the word pictures you paint. the sass. i love every word. and the intention of course if undeniable. wish i could see one of those art-filled plates. xoxox citygirl....

Art-of-Facts said...

a TRUE Artist, you are. Forgive the recent email if you have had a minute to read - I feel you are meant to touch the live of so many and here I am reminded that you absolutely do just that - with a smile, a plate of art, a splash of sass as Bam reminds and rebirth in so many ways . . . keep planting